This journal was published as their official monthly periodical from 1871 to 1899 -- though it's title changed four times: - The Shaker (1871-1872) - Shaker and Shakeress (1873-1875) - The Shaker (1876-1877) - The Shaker Manifesto (1878-1882), - The Manifesto (1883-1899). We display images and transcription of every page of a full run of the journal: 16 volumes, 349 issues, and 8,136 pages. Credits Digitization of this collection was made possible by grants from the New York State "Regional Bibliographic Databases and Interlibrary Resources Sharing Program" (http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/libdev/rbdb/) through CLRC (Central New York Library Resources Council, https://clrc.org/).
Bishop Hill Colony
The Bishop Hill Colony was founded in western Illinois in 1846 by dissenters from the Swedish Lutheran Church. Known as lasare (or readers), they read the Bible for themselves and followed the preaching of their leader Erik Janson. Many of the settlers perished during a difficult first winter at their new home in the United States. Additionally, Janson was murdered in 1850. Despite these set backs the colony existed as a communal settlement until 1861.